Racism reported in Milton Keynes

As I sipped my weak tea and dunked my digestive I read the local newspaper - MK Citizen - and was shocked to read an article about badges on sale in Punkyfish that contained the swastika and word nazi, that I would advise you all to read here.

Yet again we have some interesting reporting from the city some love to hate. What interested me in the report was the implication that only mixed race and Polish people in the shop would be offended by the political emblems.

The article isn't very balanced though, for instance they didn't ask the local BNP representative whether he (or she, you see apparently they can be female ballet dancers too) felt 'free speech' was being eroded by our current nanny state.

As for the badges, it did lead me to do a little thinking. I was never upset or adverse to wearing a hammer and sickle badge in my younger days, and yet Stalin did as much for the friendly face of ethnic cleansing as Hitler did... and the cross I wear around my neck was the symbol that represented the wonderful missionary movement of the crusades in the middle ages, where racial stereotypes under girded the decision to send someone to meet their maker sooner rather than later.

No comments: